For those of you out of touch with pop culture (or American pop culture), actor and movie star Charlie Sheen has been going on a tear lately, the likes of which has never been seen on the internet before. After overdosing on crack-cocaine (I think) in November, he entered rehab and finished recently. Since he got out, he fired his publicist and has been doing an interview with just about everybody… and I mean everybody (if by some miracle you read this Charlie, I’d love to interview you) saying whatever the fuck he wants to anybody he wants. For whatever reason, he’s decided to completely disregard public relations and be completely forthright and honest with everyone.
In a way, it’s refreshing to see a celebrity (especially one that’s a fuck-up) be so blunt about themselves. On the other hand, one just has to wonder what kind of fucking world some of these people live in. For the uninitiated, catch up on some highlights below:
In regards to women, aside from having regular drunken orgies with models and porn stars, here’s a clip (embedding is disabled) describing Charlie and his “goddesses:” his two girlfriends (one a model, one a porn star) who both live with him and have a relationship each other. Basically, it’s the MFF three-way relationship, the holy grail of just about any guy ever involved in the online PUA movement, the Hugh Hefner-lite arrangement.
Now, on various forums and sites, I’ve seen guys rushing to laud or even idolize Sheen’s don’t-give-a-fuck attitude, his brashness and at times, even his behavior. But before we get too excited, it’s important to keep some perspective:
- Charlie Sheen grew up in a family of famous actors and has been a celebrity for his entire adult life.
- Sheen is worth millions and millions of dollars, and has always been easily able to fund any debauchery at his whim.
- He’s a long-time drug addict and alcoholic, and a lot of his complete disregard for anyone’s opinion probably comes from the fact that he’s brought his life to the brink of existence many, many times.
- He’s most likely a sex addict and has been busted for hiring prostitutes many, many times.
- He’s been through three wives, and accidentally shot one in a drunken rage back in the 90′s.
- He’s high on a drug called Charlie Sheen, a drug which isn’t available anywhere, and even if it were, your face would melt off and your children would cry over your exploded body (his words).
So appreciating his absurd self-expression, his charisma, his passion, his complete disregard for public opinion, his shamelessness when it comes to women and sex and living out his dreams… that’s all great. I get it. It’s cool to look at that and think, “You know, fuck pushing the limits, that guy LIVES on the limit,” and use that to inspire yourself to push your own emotional limits a little. That’s cool. I feel the same way when I watch him.
But let’s remember who we’re watching: a drug-addicted, sex-addicted, alcoholic of multiple failed marriages who grew up in a fucked up world of privilege and attention that we can’t even begin to imagine.
He is entertaining as hell though…