Practical Pick Up Forums / General Forums / Lifestyle, Career and Health v / Fighting depression Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Fighting depression
Eros Offline
Man with a Plan

RE: Fighting depression
(05-15-2011 09:20 AM)DaveyDrama Wrote:  I thought studies have shown that Europeans are much happier than North Americans?

Yep, reread and you'll see that's what he said.
05-15-2011 10:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DaveyDrama Offline
Pickup with a Twist

Ah, touche. Had to reread. I knew that philosophy worked for a reason.

Facebook - Dave Spence - Friend Request that shit
05-15-2011 10:14 AM
FromAFCtoidontknow Offline

(05-15-2011 03:22 AM)Eros Wrote:  2) Be prepared to work hard. (...)

I completely agree.
In my experience a therapist will guide to the point where you will realize what the problem is.
But actually acknowledging it, and speaking it out, may be one of the hardest things you have to do. It takes lots of balls and willpower to accept that there is (I'm not speaking about you here, but in general) something wrong with you or your life.
Trying to fix/change it will also be hard work, but to really accept that there is something that needs to be fixed is much harder - at least in my experience.
05-15-2011 08:29 PM
Brett Offline
Man with a Plan

You also have to realize that certain people are more prone to depression than others. There are strong genetic factors at work here, and you sound like you have some brain chemistry that isn't your fault at all, getting in the way of you fulfilling your potential. You might want to consider medication. SSRI's, or selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors such as lexapro, zoloft, and prozac have been shown to work wonders for people fighting biological depression. It's nothing to be ashamed of, and you should seriously consider talking to a therapist about the benefits and side-effects of these medications. He or she will give you an assessment and let you know if they're right for you. From what it sounds like, you are most likely a good candidate that will benefit immensely from these drugs. Ignore any social stigmas to being on these medications because they're retarded, but don't forget all the other things everyone else suggested because it's good advice. Exercise - 3-5 times/week for 30-45 minutes and you will automatically seem a dramatic improvement in your mood. That, combined with CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) will do wonders for you.

Also, try to not be too hard on yourself. From your post, you sound like you're in school, so I'm going to assume you're in your teens or early 20's...also note these are some of the strongest years for feeling the way you do. Over 50% of American teenagers have thought about suicide, and 25% so much so that they could tell you the exact method they would use. Depression is a very pervasive phenomenon in your age group. And, if you just went to college and are genetically predisposed for depression, the first couple years of being away from home, familiar settings, and your parents/support groups, are some of the most common years for severe depression to hit. So, just realize that most of this is not your fault, get some help, and be proud that you have already taken a step in the right direction. I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Brett
05-15-2011 11:16 PM
saito Offline
Man with a Plan

Just as a sidenote: before taking SSRI you shoulde be aware of the side effects as shown in http://www.actionlove.com/cases/case9836.htm

A better alternative seems to be to take 5-HTP derived from griffonia seed. You can google it.
05-16-2011 12:47 AM
Brett Offline
Man with a Plan

Dude, that science you posted was gobblety-gook. Before you post something, please make sure it has better references than "December 20, 2001 South-Florida Sun-Sentinel, Page 8B". Any liver damage caused by SSRI's is minimal, and would be less than the liver damage you get from taking a tylenol. Also - a case report, ie. one person's reaction to a medication is hardly scientific evidence. There are people who have severe and bizarre reactions to almost anything. In fact, many of the newer generation anti-depressants have very little effect on libido, and some people even report it increasing their sexual stamina while not affecting their drive. I'm currently in medical school and am taking my medical licensing boards in 5 weeks...
05-16-2011 01:26 AM
Brett Offline
Man with a Plan

also, it's funny how the guy who wrote that article claims at the end of the article that you need "ViaPla-hGH-P (3-010) or ViaPal-hGH-E (3-011)" which he happens to be selling for $70/bottle
05-16-2011 01:32 AM
nonsense Offline

Thanks for the support and the ideas guys!

(05-15-2011 06:40 AM)Happy Wrote:  And you accept by accepting.

Makes sense! Smile
05-16-2011 03:39 AM
Happy Offline
Man with a Plan

SSRIs are helpful (especially) in severe cases of depression. But I'd recommend doing CBT, exercise, socializing and eating well (omega 3) first if it isn't that bad (can't get out of bed etc.).

So how exactly are you going to implement the above advice into your life?
05-16-2011 04:22 AM
DaveyDrama Offline
Pickup with a Twist

(05-16-2011 03:39 AM)nonsense Wrote:  Thanks for the support and the ideas guys!

(05-15-2011 06:40 AM)Happy Wrote:  And you accept by accepting.

Makes sense! Smile

If you have further questions/comments or need help with anything else, not just pickup but life related, don't be afraid to ask dude. For the most part, everyone on here tries to be very helpful and supportive. I hope you get yourself sorted out Smile

Facebook - Dave Spence - Friend Request that shit
05-17-2011 03:44 AM